If you or someone you know is in search of an exciting, hands-on internship, The Children’s Museum might have just what you are looking for. It’s a chance to do what you enjoy doing in an environment that encourages children and families to discover the world through play. Let’s work together to ensure every Children’s Museum guest has an enriching and enjoyable experience.
Museum Education Internship
Position Type: Part-Time, Entry-Level
Stipend: Unpaid Internship
Time Commitment: Minimum of one month *We are currently taking applications for Fall 2013
Summary: The Children’s Museum of Cleveland is seeking a hardworking, energetic and self-directed individual to serve as the Part-Time Education Intern. This position is an unpaid position that will work closely with the Education Department to provide day-to-day support to the Children’s Museum education, outreach and program offerings.
- Interact with visitors throughout the day answering questions, observing behavior and modeling adult-child interaction
- Clean and reset exhibits during opening/closing times and throughout the day
- Facilitate programs as assigned, monitor and adjust as needed, this includes but not limited to: School Group Tours, informal programs, Daily drop-in programs, and Special Events.
- Develop Programs as assigned
- Maintain high quality program facilitation skills
- Perform daily open and closing duties
- Assist in maintaining Museum exhibits, materials and supplies throughout the day as needed
- Collaborate with all members of the Education Team on projects as assigned, promoting a spirit of teamwork with all staff
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent experience with many of the projects and people working within the Children’s Museum of Cleveland
- Involvement in a variety of children and family programs and efforts
- Experience as educational instructor in an informal setting
- Experience in planning, conducting, and evaluating education programs
- Opportunities to contribute to improvement of an education program
- Letters of recommendation provided upon successful completion of the internship
Requirements & Qualifications
- Ability to speak and perform comfortably and enthusiastically to adults, children and educators
- Enjoy a fast paced environment
- Must enjoy working with children and families
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Work well individually and as part of a team
- A self-starter with a strong desire to learn
- Be working toward or completed a college degree in Education, Human Development, Theatre, Family Studies, Museum Studies or related field – a plus
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to:
Alys Hileman, Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please no phone calls.
The Children’s Museum of Cleveland (CMC) is a place where children can freely explore the world around them and learn through play. It is a popular attraction for families living in the central core of the Cleveland metropolitan area. The Museum offers three permanent exhibits and rotates its travelling exhibits into the CMC’s Pavilion throughout the year. To complement the exhibit experience, CMC offers two programs daily. In addition, the Museum takes its educational programs into the community as part of its outreach initiative.
The marketing/development intern will work to promote Museum events and help achieve fundraising goals while gaining experience through a variety of tasks related to marketing, development and general operations.
- Web-based communication of Museum programming and special events
- Pitch stories to appropriate media contacts
- Grant Research
- Assist with marketing outreach preparations, and staff outreach as needed
- Assist with data entry and preparing mailings
- Additional tasks may be assigned based on skills and interests
- Current undergraduate student, preferably entering their junior or senior year
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and various social media platforms
- Efficient, effective, collaborative
- Major in Business/Communications or related field preferred but not required
We are recruiting interns for the fall (September-December 2013) term. Position will be 10 – 15 hours per week.
This position is unpaid.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and cover letter to Samantha Lengel at email@example.com. Cover letter should address why you are interested in this internship and what relevant training or special skills qualify you for the position.